POSITION DESCRIPTION: STAGEHAND
STAGEHAND REPORTS TO: Production Coordinator
HOURS: Part-time hourly exempt, casual/as needed
About the Stefanie H. Weill Center for the Performing Arts
The Weill Center for the Performing Arts is a 1,150-seat live event venue in Downtown Sheboygan, WI. The Weill Center presents a series of live performances including music, comedy, variety acts, movies and more. In 2001 the theater was restored to its original Spanish Colonial Revival architectural style and atmospheric theater, as built in 1928. The theater is currently listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Preserve this historic landmark theater in order to provide & sustain a majestic performing arts venue for the community and to serve the people of Sheboygan County and surrounding communities with the opportunity to enjoy cultural, educational, civic, and corporate events that will entertain and inspire.
The Weill Center has the exciting opportunity to join its team as a Stagehand. The Stagehand works with the tech team to ensure all performances and events meet the high-quality production standards its patrons and artists expect. This role exudes teamwork as a key member of the tech team and assists with event tech needs from set-up to strike.
Duties and responsibilities
• Unload/reload touring trucks, set up event sets and equipment in preparation for rehearsals and performances, strike after each event
• Ensure the cleanliness of the stage and loading dock area and other technical storage areas
• Maintain a safe environment backstage for all staff and performers
• Work closely with artists to build a safe, respectful backstage environment
• Assist with sound checks, light hanging and focus, flying lines, rigging
• Assist with operating audio boards and monitors / lighting consoles as needed
• Coordinate stage cues with in-house and touring technical staff
• Resolve technical issues with tech team
• Maintain technical equipment in coordination with other members of the tech team; Check equipment functionality, repair and troubleshooting of equipment as needed
• Regularly update the marquee to promote upcoming events
• Other duties as assigned Weill Center Employee Expectations
• Project a positive, professional and polished image of the Weill Center at all times
• Participate in all staff meetings as requested
Skills and Qualifications
• Related college-level course work, degrees, certifications preferred
• One or more years of experience in live event productio
• Complete understanding of backstage etiquett
• A good working knowledge of technical theater practices
• Fundamental experience with sound and lighting equipment a plus
• Exceptional problem-solving and time management skills
• Keen attention to details
• Willing/able to work several nights and weekends and non-standard shifts
• Willing/able to lift at least 50 lbs.
• Compensation of $20-22 per hour
• Complimentary tickets for family and friends to select shows
• Job offers are contingent on a satisfactory background check
To apply, please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com
The Weill Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer.