POSITION DESCRIPTION: STAGE MANAGER
REPORTS TO: Production Coordinator
HOURS: Part-time hourly exempt, casual/as needed; Limited summer hours
About the Stefanie H. Weill Center for the Performing Arts
The Weill Center for the Performing Arts is a 1,150-seat live event venue in Downtown Sheboygan, WI. The Weill Center presents a series of live performances including music, comedy, variety acts, movies and more. In 2001 the theater was restored to its original Spanish Colonial Revival architectural style and atmospheric theater, as built in 1928. The theater is currently listed on the National Register of Historic Places. This season the Weill Center will celebrate its 20th Anniversary Season.
Preserve this historic landmark theater in order to provide & sustain a majestic performing arts venue for the community and to serve the people of Sheboygan County and surrounding communities with the opportunity to enjoy cultural, educational, civic, and corporate events that will entertain and inspire.
The Weill Center has the opportunity to join its team as a part-time Stage Manager. The Stage Manager works under the direction and supervision of the Production Coordinator to ensure all performances and events meet the high-quality production standards its patrons and artists expect. This role exudes teamwork as a key member of the tech team and assists with event tech needs from set-up to strike.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Unload/reload touring trucks, set up event sets and equipment in preparation for rehearsals and performances, strike after each event
- Prepare rehearsal spaces, dressing room, green room as indicated in riders and event plans
- Ensure the cleanliness of the stage and loading dock area and other technical storage areas
- Maintain a safe environment backstage for all staff and performers
- Work closely with artists to build a safe, respectful backstage environment
- Assist with sound checks, light hanging and focus, flying lines, rigging and operating audio and lighting consoles as needed.
- Coordinate stage cues with in-house and touring technical staff
- Coordinate show start along with technical director and house management; Ensure shows start on time and all necessary technicians are in place at top of show
- Resolve technical issues with production coordinator and technical director
- Close and secure the building at the end of the night
- Maintain technical equipment in coordination with other members of the tech team; Check equipment functionality, repair and troubleshooting of equipment as needed
- Secure the pianos and maintain proper humidity conditions (plug in and maintain humidifier)
- Regularly update the marquee to promote upcoming events
- Other duties as assigned
Weill Center Employee Expectations
- Be present at all required rehearsals and performances as scheduled
- Project a positive, professional and polished image of the Weill Center at all times
- Submit detailed timesheets after each event
- Participate in all staff meetings as requested
- Wear Weill Center approved attire for each performance
Skills and Qualifications
- Related college-level course work, degrees, certifications preferred
- One or more years of experience in live event production
- Complete understanding of backstage etiquette
- A good working knowledge of technical theater practices
- Fundamental experience with sound and lighting equipment a plus
- Exceptional problem-solving and time management skills
- Keen attention to details
- Willing/able to work several nights and weekends and non-standard shifts
- Willing/able to lift at least 50 lbs.
- Complimentary parking
- Complimentary tickets for family and friends to select shows
- Technical training may be provided
- Job offers are contingent on a satisfactory background check and negative drug test
- Masks are required for staff without proof of vaccination
To apply, please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.